Some helpful things for writers

Hey!

I just have a quick little something for writers. A couple of resources I use that might be helpful.



First off, learning to write!

If any of you have read any books by Brandon Sanderson you know how amazing they can be. He is a fantasy writer that creates unique and intricate worlds with cool, intriguing characters.

He also happens to be a creative writing professor at BYU.

Well, someone at BYU kindy videoed several of his classes and put them on YouTube! They are all done with his permission and on purpose so people don't have to pay for his class.

Here's a link to the playlist

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLH3mK1NZn9QqOSj3ObrP3xL8tEJQ12-vL

I haven't watched them all so I can't vouch for all of the content, but I'm hoping it will be helpful to you!

The second thing I want to share is more for publishing.

I don't actually remember where I found this but it's called Author's Publish. I'm signed up for their "magazine" emails and I don't actually look at most of them. The ones I do look at though are pretty helpful though. These particular emails get sent monthly and it has a link to a list of places that are looking for writing submissions.

There are magazines looking for poetry and short stories. There are anthologies on there as well, looking for stories to complete their collection.

I haven't sent anything in to any of these, but I have a friend who has and I plan to as well someday.

I'll give you the link to the July list.

https://www.authorspublish.com/18-themed-calls-for-submissions-july-2019/

Some of the deadlines have already passed, but others are still open if you have something you might want to publish.

You can also go to the Author's Publish website and sign up for their emails, though you will get some pointless ones you'll have to delete.

By saying these things I'm not advertising for any of these people. I'm not even saying that I agree with everything they stand for and do.

I just want to make you aware of some resources that might be helpful.

Also just for fun watch this video about scams that writers can get targeted for.  (Please note that the channel's name is Terrible Writing Advice and everything this person says is sarcastic)


Comments

  1. Oh, the Brandon Sanderson stuff should be fun!!!

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to check this stuff out!

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh these sound awesome, especially the Brandon Sanderson link!

    www.melodypersonetteauthor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're excited! I've only just started watching the Brandon Sanderson lectures, but they're really good so far!

      Delete

Post a Comment