Difference in Writing Styles

Every Tuesday the local library here has a writer's group.

Usually, it's just two or three people and we talk about what we are writing and current projects.

This last week there were SIX people! To some that might still sound small, but it was amazing for us.

As I got to know these people I saw how different we all are as writers. I like fantasy, one girl likes action-adventure, another lady likes non-fiction articles, the only guy in the group likes screenplays.

Our leader, Jeannie, started talking about a book series where there are multiple writers. The characters and setting are the same, but the plot and author are different for each book.

I had to bring up an idea I've always had. To have a group come up with an outline together. Then each person writes from that outline on their own.

When everyone is finished the writers all come together and compare how different everyone's story is. How events in the story changed depending on the person's perspective. Or how a character was different because of the writer's personality differences.

Jeanie responded by saying "Why don't we do that here!"

So we did.

We came up with an outline and now we all have homework to do.

The outline isn't what I hoped as I was expecting a bit more detail, but it definitely works. It gives a basic structure to a self-discovery story that happens on some type of journey.

Since this is all new and fun to the whole group at the library, I thought I would include all of you. Look at the outline below and write a story based off of it.

You can use whatever setting you want with whatever characters you want. It can be any length you want as well. The characters can be going on a trip in an airplane or a stagecoach. Just as long as it's a journey/trip of some sort. And it has to be a self-discovery story. The main character either has to learn something about themselves or grow and change in some way.

Then you can send it to me at grinderlauren@gmail.com! I want to see your creativity and compare it to what we come up with here. I might feature it here on the blog along with the other stories we come up with so you can see the differences we all have in writing.


So here's the outline


Self Discovery
Traveling
2-4 people on a journey


Beginning
Introduce the characters and setting
Who are they why should we care
Begin the journey

Middle
Event
Bring characters together
Or tear them apart
Building of suspense
To another bigger event/climax
End
Sound Resolution
What is the point/moral
Now, take this outline and write something! I want to see YOUR creativity at work!


Comments

  1. Oh, I have always loved this idea of yours ;) And I already have an idea ;D We'll see if I can write it or not (soon).

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooo Hopefully you can write it down. It would be cool to put one of your stories with the others :)

      Delete
  2. This is a great idea! I don't know if I'll have time to get to the outline but I would really love to try it cuz it just sounds so neat! Plus, having a writer's group at the library? I wish my library had that haha

    www.melodypersonetteauthor.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! It's something I've always wanted to try.
      You can try using the outline at any time! I'm not giving a deadline or time limit. Even if you don't get to for a couple of months I would still love to read what you come up with!
      I love the little writer's group at my library! Maybe you can suggest starting one at your library. They might just take you up on it :)

      Delete
  3. This sounds like a good idea! I would like to try this. :)

    astorydetective.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should! I would love to see what you come up with!

      Delete

Post a Comment