Flash Fiction Contest #6 Results

Welcome back!

The results of the Flash fiction contest are in!

Thank you to everyone who entered.

I enjoyed this week's flash fiction and the inspiration that came from the prompt!

However this weeks winner wishes to remain anonymous.

So I guess we will just jump right into it! Here is the winner of this week's Flash Fiction contest!


.



Cursed to Drown


The curse has haunted this island for too long. No one can tell me when it started. No one knows. They just live with it.

They live with the misery when it takes a loved one and with the pity when it takes someone else's.

I can’t live with it.

I had a future. Promise that my life would be ok.

But then the storm swept through, taking Aida with it. My promise.

I paddle my little boat out to sea and stare into its depths. I have been told so many times that if I look close enough I can see where the lost people of this curse are. Down on the seafloor. Waiting.

Waiting for what?

I look down into the depths. I jump at any glimpse I think might be Aida.

Until I see her. Calm. Peaceful. Lying on the bottom of the sea. Cursed.

Waiting.

Without hesitating I take a deep breath and plunge into the water. I swim right to her.

It’s harder than it looks. Further down than I first assumed.

But I reach her.

I can’t stay for long, I can’t hold my breath for much longer.

So I touch her hair and kiss her forehead.

I hold onto that feeling of her warmth despite the cold water.

She is not dead. I can still break the curse.



Congratulations!


See you next time!

Comments

Post a Comment