Flash Fiction Contest #2 Results


Welcome back!

The results of the Flash fiction contest are in!

Thank you to everyone who entered.

Choosing the winner was not easy this week. The entries were both exciting and intriguing. This weeks winner is Ivie Brooks!

profile long hair.jpg



Ivie wrote a story that captivated my attention and made me want to keep reading. Come say congratulations to Ivie and read her amazing flash fiction!



I crept through the dungeon, the musty smell all too familiar to me. I had done this many times before, any time the king captured an innocent citizen to torture for his amusement. 

I stumbled upon the first cell, finding nothing but bones and dust. Far too late for the unfortunate soul who once sat in this chamber. 

I kept pressing forward, not daring to lose focus on what it would mean if anyone was left here. Suddenly, I heard a soft whimper. I paused, waiting to see if it was only in my mind. But then I heard it again.

I moved faster, turning the corner to find a little boy, chained to the wall by his ankle. His clothes were wrinkled and torn, his hair long and unkempt. 

When he saw me, his eyes filled with fear. I slipped my mask off the lower part of my face, kneeling down to be eye level with him. He backed away in fear, but he had nowhere to go. I pulled the key out of my pocket and held it out toward him.

“Do you want your freedom?” I asked.

He said nothing, only staring at the key in disbelief. “H-how did you get that?”

I shrugged. “Right now, it doesn’t matter. How old are you?”

“Nine.”

I shook my head. The king was truly evil to take young boys like him away from his family. I put the key in the lock and undid his chain. He stared at his now free ankle in wonder.

“Now, you must keep up with me if you expect to get out of here. Can you do that?” I asked.

He nodded, rubbing his ankle where the chain once held him. I smiled. “Then let’s go.”


Congratulations Ivie!

If you want to find more of Ivie's work you can head over to her blog at iviewrites.blogspot.com.

I do have to apologize for the lateness of the results. I recently moved and I don't have internet at my new house and I haven't had the chance to get on and post the results until now.Because of that I'm not going to have a prompt contest this week as I am already behind schedule and might not be able to get results in on time again.


Comments

Post a Comment