Flash Fiction Contest #1 Results

The Results!!

The First Flash Fiction Contest is Complete!

Thank you to those who entered!

The winner of this week's contest is anonymous! 

Love to Read!!!


The Forbidden Book

The floorboard creaks and I pause. I listen to make sure no one heard, holding my breath.
Nothing. No one heard me.

I move forward again, taking each step as carefully as I can.

After what seems like forever I reach the library. The door opens silently, despite its age.

No one is inside. Everyone else should be eating dinner.

I check around all the shelves first, just to be sure.
The shelf I want is at the back of the room anyway and by the time I get there I’m more excited than ever before.

This shelf is built into the wall with an extra ledge sticking out about halfway up. The perfect height for me to climb up onto it.

It’s harder than it looks though as I have to pull myself up with my arms and swing my legs up the rest of the way. If anyone were watching they would call it improper. But they aren’t, so I continue my climb.

I push myself up so that I’m standing on the extra ledge. I’m not really that high up, but my legs start shaking anyway.

I’m so close.

The shelf I’ve been trying to reach is at my eye level.

The book I’ve been looking for is right in front of my face.

I don’t realize that my hand is shaking as well until I reach up and grab hold of the book.

I pull back on it, but it doesn’t come off the shelf. It’s stuck.

I push the book back into its place when I hear something click.

The ledge gives out from under me and I fall to the floor.
Except I keep falling.

I close my eyes, waiting for the pain of the landing of wherever I’m going to land.



Comments